Sometimes it can be hard to see what we need to get to the next level. We know we want something different, for ourselves and our organizations, but we don’t know how to get there. It feels like two steps forward, one step back.
What does it take to create the breakthrough?
In my work with leaders and teams, I am always looking out for a few things:
· What are the mindsets we are holding on to? Are they helping or hindering us?
· What are the behaviors that we are practicing? What are we doing, consciously or not, that gets in the way of our success?
· What are the structures, or systems we have in place to help us thrive?
A recent client, Jean, a senior leader at her organization, called me up with what she said was a lack of vision. Jean thought it was a mindset issue, but it became clear to me that this wasn’t her problem. Jean had a clear direction for her organization – she had plenty of vision! What she lacked was the time to articulate the vision so that she felt confident AND enroll her team in it –both a behavior and a structure challenge.
We worked together to free up Jean’s time and create a new meeting structure so that she could communicate her vision regularly to the team. Soon after, she was proactively inspiring the team around her vision, which meant greater alignment, focus, and impact for everyone. Jean was leading in a very different way and loving the results. A successful break through is going to include all of these elements: mindset, behavior, and structure.
I’m often asked for resources and source of inspiration on how to get unstuck, so I thought I’d share some of my recent favorites.
· If you have a vision for where you want to go, but find your self struggling to get there – check out this great compilation on TED focused on creating the habits that support you in reaching your goals.
· If you are thinking about how to build a great team, my recent blog post highlights a great assessment tool and some straight forward structures you can put into place.
· And if you think that your mindset needs a tune-up, I find
myself reading, re-reading and recommending: You Are a
Badass by coach Jen Sincero, for a humorous kick-in-the-pants to shift any
unstuck sometimes feels impossible, but I can assure you that it is not! With support from people who have been
through it before, a bit of self-reflection, and a look at the three levels of
what it takes to make change, you will definitely make it happen. If it feels like the right time for a
breakthrough in your leadership, work or organization, I’d love to support you!